Stories: Why You Should Take Up Cooking


Some say, as you grow up you must know how to cook at least one dish. Reasonable right? One whole life time, just to master one dish. But still, why the hassle, I thought? It's easier to eat out. It's troublesome to select produce and to carry them home since I don't own a car.
And what's with spending 30 minutes to an hour to cook something that you'll wolf down in just 2.3 seconds?

Cooking is an important life skill. Let me explain. You know the part where a marine is in the middle of a gunfire with soldiers that just wanted him dead? He was grazed from head to toe and trying to crawl away to safety. One by one of his comrades kissed the ground and everything seems so hopeless. It looks as if he has nil chance to survive yet he still persisted in crawling away. Then, the enemy soldier shot him in the head and you thought he's dead. But, no. He kept crawling towards safety just by sheer will power alone. Just when you think that there's no possible way it will end up good, well, it can.

Imagine he was a cook instead of a soldier. He won't be facing all those firing can he? In fact, he'll be the one smoking things from the safety and comfort of a kitchen. Cooking saves lives! Hope my message got through.

People always think of buying presents for someone. But hey, cooking tasty food for someone can be a great present too, I reckon. I need to make sure my cooking doesn't suck or I can hope that my sincerity will make up for the lack of taste. I'm placing my bets on my sincerity.

Stepping into adulthood, I learn that vegies are the important key in prolonging my life. And so, I start noticing things. Every single time I ordered that familiar chicken rice, it always comes with a stingy portion of vegetables. Two slices of cucumber. It is no wonder that constipation is the leading cause of death in the world.

Stepping out further, I've realized the vegie dish don't come cheap either. Before cooking, it's probably cost only $2. After firing it up with oil, seasonings and knuckle hair, it hiked up to a $10. It has never been this crystal clear that I will have to eat the vegies raw from now onward. And, maybe the meat too.

I've learned something special about the latter. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Upon taking up the art of the pan and spatula, I find it actually requires a lot more skill than just tossing food in and stir it around until it's cooked. It is much more poetic than that. Countless times I've faced the need to be able to withstand pain. Upon throwing the chunks of meat in, some excited oil droplets decided to jump out of the pan and land gentle kisses on my hands. Regardless of how manly I am - was, I let out a squeal.

I figured out a way to save my dignity under that circumstance. I need to consciously train myself to let out an inhuman squeal should the need arises. Since it doesn't sound human, nobody can accuse me in making such horrifying shrieks of fear. Then, I can proceed to blame the neighbor's cat, Garfield as the culprit of the noise and once and for all save what's left of my manliness. The perfect plan.

Did you know? Cooking can train your tactical organizational thinking skills? Some things need to be cooked first before the rest. While waiting for the water to boil, you can shorten the cooking time by doing something else like chopping the vegies, peel the carrots and wash your teddy bear(s). Doing the tasks in the right sequence will save you a lot of time.

This might not apply to everyone, but cooking gets me into the flow. The idea that one becomes oblivious of the passing of time while deeply engaged in doing something. One time I was cooking, before I knew it, it's already night time (it's just 30 minutes or so). Having more activities that makes you go into the flow promotes happiness. It's like doing drugs but cheaper. And don't do drugs.

Not sure how to end this. Don't do drugs! Cook instead!


CONVERSATION

Follow us

Instagram

Follow Us